Before you get all excited about this post, I’ve got to put my hands up – I have no nutritional knowledge to back up what I’m about to say. All I know is that I’ve made 6 small changes to what and how I eat and it’s working for me so I thought I’d share.
So as I write this, I’ve just demolished a chocolate and vanilla cheesecake slice. Hardly eating clean. And yes I might have had 2 or 3 glasses of wine at the weekend but when you work out hard and are careful about what you eat, surely a person is allowed treats right? Because if I don’t get any treats I become a Sad Sally. The key here is moderation.
Now don’t get me wrong. I fricking love eating. I’m Filipino – all Filipinos love to eat. The first thing a Filipino will say to you when they meet you is “Have you eaten?” It’s like their universal version of Hello.
This isn’t a post about foods that will magically make you slim but more of a change of mindset. It’s about realising what you put into your body and knowing when’ve had enough. I’ve lost count of the amount of times I’ve stuffed myself silly and then felt physically sick afterwards. Fatty fatty boom boom me.
But I’ve lost 8 inches all over since 1st Jan. (I always measure because when you’re training and your clothes fit better but the scales say you’ve hardly lost any weight, it might be that you’ve lost fat but gained muscle. This article explains it better than I do.) So alongside with exercise regime I’ve talked about here I’ve done the following:
- Portion Control– do you really need that extra portion of food on your plate? Really? Are you ravenous? Yes ok, well you can always come back for more. Why not try waiting 10 minutes, let that first portion settle and then, if you’re still hungry, maybe a little more.
- No white pasta, white rice, white bread – we all know wholemeal is better for you so just make this simple change. Wholemeal is high in fibre which takes longer to digest so keeps you fuller for longer.
- Cut down on sugar. I love chocolate but I try and ration myself. How’s about trying to have half the chocolate bar and save the rest for later? Or try a piece of fruit, drink a glass of water and even brushing your teeth helps. Don’t get me wrong, sometimes the urge is too great. There have been times I just want open a jar of Nutella, pull globs of the good stuff with my bare hands and lick that jar clean.
- Cut down on salt – this stuff is not good for you. Again moderation is key. My fella has a dodgy ticker so even more of a reason to cut down. Plus is makes you bloated as it retains water. Not a good look.
- Reduce the amount of carbs eaten after 5pm – yes this UK weather has been shocking and all it’s made me want to do is eat pie and chips, mashed potatoes and creamy bowls of pasta. Carbs bloat me. Simple as. So now it’s all about stir frys, soups and high protein salads. Yes it is hard at first but you get used to it. And it’s nice going to bed without feeling you’re 6 months preggers.
- Drink more water – it’s good for your skin, it fills you up and your body needs it. Simples.
Hope this helps! Check out my Fitness Pinterest board if you need any more info . xx